About The Kangaroo Kids Kindergarten Program
You and your staff are truly amazing… The level of educational programming seems to be far above what might be referred to as the “community standard.”
Kindergarten is the foundation for a lifetime of learning. Children learn the educational components necessary for a lifelong adventure of learning. We coordinate our program with the local school system so that children progressing to elementary school in a private or public setting are well prepared.
Our enriched curriculum addresses learning in all the developmental area in a small group setting focusing on the needs of the individual. Cognitive growth enhances intellectual development is included in our integrated curriculum and runs through all our daily activities in language, math, science, and critical thinking skills. Social development helps build lasting friendships and refined social behavior. Emotional growth is the foundation of self-confidence and socialization skills
Kangaroo Kids has a different theme every week and activities are centered on that theme. In addition, every week there is a different letter, word and sight word and reading concept introduced as well as math, geography and science concepts. Children also have an opportunity to plan and create themes based on their own interests.
What Makes Up The Kangaroo Kids Kindergarten Curriculum?
- Morning Meeting is a group gathering where children share ideas, conversations, and plans. Circle activities are designed to stimulate thinking, enrich their social skills and enhance their attention span. It gives children an opportunity to learn the art of conversation and the confidence to speak or read in front of a group.
- Language, Literature Appreciation and Reading-Readiness activities are presented each day through story time, songs, poems, books, and plays and include letter and word recognition, phonics and activities that promote a love of reading. “Author Studies,” help promote the children’s knowledge of literacy. Reading activities provide an opportunity to enhance children’s vocabulary and comprehension skills, and also expand their knowledge base. Our program is designed to help children increase their knowledge base as well as develop an appreciation and love of literature.
- Math curriculum includes matching, sorting, patterning, comparing, classifying ordering, measuring, graphing, one to one correspondence, reasoning and problem solving. They count and explore numbers with manipulative and hands on experiences as well as learning to tell time and understand basic money concepts.
- Computer activities are introduced and basic concepts are presented for playing and learning. Proper use of the computer is also emphasized as the children become familiar with the parts of the computer. The computer is also used to enhance learning in all cognitive areas of study including math, language, science and geography.
- Foreign Languages are introduced through song, stories, and projects. Children are also exposured to a variety of languages through conversation and a print rich environment. We have weekly classes in Chinese.
- Sign Language skills are introduced through creative activities and songs.
- Science activities offer children many hands-on opportunities for observation, exploration, investigation, making predictions, experimentation, and critical thinking through the study of plant and animal life, the properties of magnets and water, and the study of nature.
- Social interactions are encouraged and guided to help children learn positive social skills, and concepts like sharing and taking turns. Leadership and personal responsibility are also encouraged.
- Creative activities include dramatic play where children learn to use their imagination and practice life skills. Art work help youngster creatively express their thoughts and feelings, as well as enhancing the fine motor skills they will need for writing skills. Block play provides many wonderful experiences for our future architects as they experience different concepts, such as size and shape discrimination, spatial relationships, number skills, balance, organization and cause and effect. Cooperative play skills, problem solving, and creativity are also promoted in block play.
- Fitness is promoted through exciting opportunities to dance and sing, as well as outdoor play in our large playground and walks to the local park and farm. This is an important age to develop of love of activity that will in turn promote a lifetime of fitness. Physical activities are fun, healthy and a good opportunity to enhance social skills such as taking turns and negotiation skills, and leadership techniques.
- Music is an excellent way to promote learning. Children sing educational and fun songs throughout the day to promote the curriculum. A specialized music teacher comes in each week to introduce the children to new songs and instruments.
- Smart Board – we are so excited about our new smart board! It is really enhancing our curriculum and we are one of the only early childhood educational facilities in the area to have a smart board!