What Do We Do In Preschool?
Preschool years are a time of learning and growing. It is important time for learning through hands on experiences. Children have an opportunity to explore their world, expand their natural creativity in an environment that is safe and stimulating. Kangaroo Kids provides exciting opportunities for individual explorations as well as meaningful small group interactions. All instruction is individualized to meet the needs of every child. We encourage parental involvement and strive to form a partnership with you to ensure the best experience for your child.
Kangaroo Kids has a different theme every week and activities are centered on that theme. In addition, every month there is a different letter, number, color and math concept introduced.
How A Day In Our Preschool Class Is Structured
- Morning Meeting is a group gathering where children share ideas, conversations, and plans. Activities are designed to stimulate thinking, enrich their social skills and enhance their attention span. It gives children an opportunity to learn the art of conversation and the confidence to speak in front of a group.
- Story time is designed to help children develop an appreciation and love of literature. Reading activities provide an opportunity to enhance children’s vocabulary and comprehension skills, and also expand their knowledge base. In addition they also study a famous children’s author each month.
- Math skills expand as children play with math related materials; they classify, compare, sort, order, and measure. The count and explore numbers with manipulative and hands on experiences.
- Computer activities are introduced and basic concepts are presented for playing and learning. Proper use of the computer is also emphasized.
- Choice time decision making is an important developmental skill. Providing choice opportunities for children is a fundamental aspect of high-quality early childhood curriculum. By offering choice time children practice the skills of responsibility and independence. Their self-esteem is enhanced by making good decisions and being allowed to make choices fosters of their commitment to learning.
- Foreign Languages are introduced through song, stories, and projects. Children are also exposed to a variety of languages through conversation and a print rich environment. In addition to weekly Chinese lessons, children are also exposed to Spanish, Hindi and Sign Language.
- Sign Language skills are introduced through creative activities and songs.
- Science activities offer children many hands-on opportunities for observation, exploration, investigation, making predictions, and experimentation through the study of plant and animal life, the properties of magnets and water, and the study of nature. Children help to prepare, plant and harvest in the annual Kangaroo Kids Garden.
- Social interactions are encouraged and guided to help children learn positive social skills, and concepts like sharing, kindness, public speaking, the art of conversation and taking turns. We also include multicultural experiences to promote and understanding of other cultures.
- Creative activities include dramatic play where children learn to use their imagination and practice life skills. Art work help youngster creatively express their thoughts and feelings, as well as enhancing the fine motor skills they will need for writing skills. Block play provides many wonderful experiences for our future architects as they experience different concepts, such as size and shape discrimination, spatial relationships, number skills, balance, organization and cause and effect. Cooperative play skills, problem solving, and creativity are also promoted in block play. We also study famous artists.
- Language and Reading-Readiness activities are presented each day through story time, songs, poems, books, and plays and include letter recognition, phonics and activities that promote a love of reading. The librarian visits on a monthly basis to share the joy of books.
- Fitness is promoted through exciting opportunities to dance and sing, as well as outdoor play in our large playground and walks to the local park and farm. In the summer children enjoy swimming in our heated in ground pool.